Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Life after Ike

Holy crap! That hurricane really sucked. Not that not all hurricanes don't suck, but that was a doozy. It's taken a week to post because it's taken a week to get power. I'm not going to complain too much about that, we had a generator from Rita...we were lucky. Finding gas for it was another story. Water was just turned on today...eight days without water. That was the worse part. But we still have a house, so I don't really care. I wish I could get the pictures off the camera, but that'll have to wait. Hubby decided to put them all on HIS computer and delete them off the camera. But soon I promise to show you lots of water and destruction.

Power companies from all over the country were here working on downed lines. I've never seen anything like it. They were awesome. The power went out late Friday night. We started seeing trucks in our neighborhood on Thursday morning, and by the time the sun went down on Friday, the power was on. As the trucks left the neighborhood, it was like a parade of onlookers hooping and hollering from their front yards. These men were heros to us.

Our fire department was also awesome. Twice during the week they came to our very low class neighborhood and gave us all cases of water and bags of ice. They're certainly getting a letter from me!

Going to PODS (points of distribution) was not in our plan, but we did eventually go to one for ice and water. I was not happy about going to one, but ice was in short supply since most grocery stores still didn't have power either.

Things are starting to feel more normal now that I don't have to brush my teeth with bottled water, or take sponge baths with baby wipes, or go outside to cool off. I'll be posting pictures as soon as I get them.

4 comments:

Jessi said...

I'm glad to hear everything was more organized with this hurricane compared to ones in the past.

Woo hoo for ice and water and POWER!!!

Heather said...

VERY organized. I feel lucky it wasn't a Katrina situation.

Jenny said...

I am glad to hear that ya'll did okay. We were without power and water after Wilma for about a week. It was bad enough for us, but even worse for the friend Morgan had visiting from London. I don't think he'll be back. What a vacation!

Good luck getting everything back to normal. We've been thinking about you!

Lindsay said...

Amen for loving power and water!! You don't realize how much you use water until you don't have it!! Glad you didn't get damage! How did your parents do?