Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Hooray for tofu!

I've been experimenting with new strange foods, and I haven't been disappointed yet. The other day I was craving something sweet, but the only thing chocolate I had in my house was a tin of baking cocoa. Well this calls for hot chocolate, vegan style! I poured 1 1/2 cups of soy milk in a sauce pan with 2 T of cocoa and a 1/2 t of Stevia. Whisk together on low heat until it starts to steam, not boil. Then I added a touch of vanilla before pouring. This was pretty darn good! Even hubby liked it. This is when I know something is good...if the carnivore likes it, it must be fantastic.

Lately I've been craving scrambled eggs. Yes, I still crave meat and dairy, but I just improvise with what I have. When we went to Moab for our reunion, I got to spend some time with my aunt and uncle who are vegan too. They took me to a restaurant that caters to us weirdos. I got the scrambled tofu. It was so incredibly yummy, I've been craving it ever since. So I decided to make my own tonight. I'm one of the pickiest eaters I know when it comes to textures, so I was a little apprehensive about making my own scrambled tofu. It was so easy! I took a handful of tofu and squeezed the excess water out. This made a perfect scrambled "egg" consistency before I even cooked it. Then I heated a nonstick skillet with a little bit of garlic flavored olive oil on medium heat. In went the tofu, salt, pepper, some Tony's, and onion powder. I was amazed at how this really tasted like eggs! I have found my new favorite breakfast dish. Oatmeal was starting to get a little old. I wish I had taken a picture of it, but I was so hungry and it smelled so good, I didn't get the chance. But I'll make it again tomorrow I'm sure!

1 comments:

Kim said...

Have you tried Xylitol? So much better than Stevia!